Thursday, September 25, 2008

Allerton : The Day Here

I like the Allerton conference.

Part of it is I come most every year. So by now, I know my way around, which is a nice aspect of a conference being held at the same place every year. Got the early flight in, rented my car in about five minutes at the tiny but functional Willard airport in Urbana-Champaign, and had my badge about a half hour later. After a talk and catching up with some people I went to lunch at the Brown Bag, the crowded spot for people who don't like the conference lunch. Back to listen to more talks, and give my talks. After talks, more catching up with people, while they set up the open bar and snacks. (JeffE, forget beer at the business meetings, take a day -- or just an afternoon -- off and join us!) Then dinner with a very old friend (Steve Lumetta) and his family.

Saw interesting talks by Ramesh Johari, Balaji Prabhakar, Jean Walrand, Adam Wierman, and others. I talk with people about hashing, Bloom filters, deletion channels, sticky channels, floating codes, all manner of things. It's fun being at a conference where the usually disparate seeming parts of my research don't seem quite so disparate.

Sadly, a quick trip this year. I fly back early tomorrow.

2 comments:

JeffE said...

(Hic!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.