Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Housework

The Chronicle of Higher Education has an article up titled Time Crunch for Female Scientists : They Do More Housework Than Men. Worth reading, understanding, and discussing, although I admit some trepidation, as such posts generally receive some bizarre commentary. (One point of note; this is not just an issue that affects scientists, but "...because a successful scientific career demands more than 40 hours a week, she said, female scientists could be especially affected.")

2 comments:

male half of a 2-body problem said...

In my experience, child rearing is the most time-consuming and unevenly shared responsibility. For example, lots of men cook and clean but few can breast feed (and many couples these days prefer to avoid formula/bottles/pumping). Hiring someone to do housework is great, but hiring someone to raise your kids for you is deeply troubling.

Of course, that's just my experience. One time, a professor whose wife stays at home with kids was visiting me and expressed amazement that I had time to contribute to housework, never mind raising older children. He then expressed amazement that I ever wrote papers, at which I pointed out that I've been writing a lot fewer since our first child was born...

Anonymous said...

Well, the solution is pretty simple. Universities should give female professors money to hire a muchacha service, so they don't have to do laundry and cleaning.